Sunday, May 15, 2011

Four lbs in four weeks: Week 1 report

Week one is up and personally I think it went pretty well! Maybe even better than I thought! I decided that I would use my first week to sort of evaluate myself and see what I specifically needed to improve on. The most helpful tool in accomplishing this was the food tracker on mypyramid.gov. Through using this tracker I was able to see--for example--that I most certainly did need to boost my intake of vegetables. Aaaand so I did! I added mushrooms, green peppers, and tomatoes to dinner every night and I took a little baggy of baby carrots to work everyday as a snack... instead of Cheerios or a granola bar (even though I love snacking on Cheerios just like a 2-year old). Next to the food tracking, I found that weighing myself morning and night during the first week was very helpful. I was able to see how much my weight fluctuated during the day. The biggest jump from morning to evening was 3.4 lbs! Then the next morning I woke up 2.5 lbs lighter. Even though I found this helpful, I wouldn't strongly recommend it to someone that is trying to simply get in shape and shed a few pounds. Weighing yourself too much can be discouraging since successful weight loss doesn't happen rapidly. However, in my situation I am losing the weight for more than the health benefits. I have to lose the four pounds for a grade so weighing myself more than once every day is helping me see if my strategy for weight loss is actually working.


As for exercise I followed my plan that I mentioned earlier and was very sore for a couple days. However, after drinking lots of water and getting enough sleep my body recovered and I was able to accomplish all my workouts and runs as planned. 


The last benefit that I am going to talk about in this week's report is how my brain has been feeling. I typically use my brain 24/7... haha... and I noticed that as I eat healthy and exercise enough I haven't been so worn out after my 2.5 hour class and 6 hours of work. Usually I get headaches and I find it a challenge to concentrate which leads me to eating something sugary to keep my brain going. Now that I have practiced these healthy habits this week I haven't resorted to eating sweets and I have found that the natural sugar in fruits (for example) have been enough.


My goals for week 2 are as follows:
-find my pedometer and where is every day- try to get 10,000+ steps.
-try even harder to lay off the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment