Monday, May 9, 2011

Four lbs in four weeks

This spring term I am enrolled in ExSc 480: Obesity and Weight Management. In this class we review of the scientific literature surrounding obesity and weight management and learn primarily about the causes and consequences of the growing epidemic of obesity.

For our class project we are required to either gain or lose 4 pounds in 4 weeks. I chose the latter of the two and thought it would be fun to keep you updated on my progress... and so I could be a little more accountable. 

I started yesterday, May 8th, at 150.4 lbs and will go until Sunday, June 5th, when I will hopefully be 146.4 lbs or less. My game plan is simple: exercise more and eat less. Exercising more for me means running 3 times a week (10 miles) + lifting weights and/or doing iTunes work out videos twice a week. The only equipment I need are "work out clothes" (a baggy t-shirt, tennishoes, and shorts), and some free weights. If you don't have any, canned soup works great too... make it condensed if you want a better work out ; ). I'll also need some road for running on. Easy to come by, isn't it? Now for eating less. Personally this means cutting back on treats (I've been on a chocolate kick for months now) and not taking a second serving at meals. Meanwhile I am going to add more fruits, vegetables, and water to my "diet" (we'll talk about the real definition of diet some other time).

As the weeks pass I will let you know how everything is going... from how I feel physically to even how my brain is doing. And feel free to join me! If you need help getting started just shoot me a comment or email and I'll answer any questions that you might have.

No comments:

Post a Comment